So this is the same creature as shown previously, but I’ve spent some time working rendering the hair fully in V-ray rather than using a separate light rig, and the Hair Farm Renderer.

The hair is generated in Hair Farm, and then brought fully into V-Ray using the VrayHairFarmMod. The Hair Farm renderer is turned off and only V-Ray is used to render it. The V-Ray hair shader was used, with the white matted preset as a starting point. I still used Hair Farm’s Color Variation material in the diffuse which adds an individual colour to each stand. The Hair was also set to be opaque for GI, and shadows. Simplify for GI was also set.

Rendering hair can be problematic because of its potential to create noise in the image if the sampling is too low. The aliasing filter can also cause issues, so it took a bit of fine tuning to get this right.

Here’s the settings I used in the test:

Image Sampler: Adaptive DMC
Antialiasing Filter: Cook Variable set to 2.5

The DMC noise threshold is not as low as it could be, but I didn’t notice any major noise issues, so was set to 0.01

The scene is lit with 2 area spots, and an HDR dome light. Primary GI was Brute Force, with secondary set to Light Cache. Render times were pretty high using the HDR, but it was worth it for the final image quality. Without the HDR, and still using GI, render times were reduced by 3/4.

View fullscreen in HD for best results.